Wednesday, October 08, 2003

The Tuesday Files

While Arnold talked Californians into voting him into the governor's office, Germany pummelled the U.S. 3-0 in a women's world cup soccer semi-final upset (Sweden beat Canada 2-1 in their semi-final), Izzy Asper -- the Canadian media mogul who founded CanWest Global -- died, the Canadian dollar broke 75c U.S. for the first time since November 1996 (good for some, terrible for others)...

... and me? I felt like a Vegas promoter making phone calls, e-mailing, updating... I worked long into the night with windows of spreadsheets, Outlook, Yahoo calendar, online white pages, and Google in front of me on the monitor. Thank God for 21-inch screens, otherwise I'd go blind.

I did have some interesting phone calls, though. At 10 o'clock I got this bright idea to track down Rovin, who I haven't seen for years, but I'd heard was in the Vancouver area. Keeping under the radar. So when I phoned, I was happy to get a very positive reaction -- albeit after a very long pause! Once Rovin figured out who the hell was calling him at 10pm, it was like I'd set him on fire! I told him about the party, seeing Martijn and Jennifer and their baby Isla in the Netherlands in April, Tosca and Mike's wedding, seeing Jackie at the wedding, and how these days I'm not the "party-girl" he remembers me to be...! I thought it was hilarious Rovin thinks of me that way, but last night as I was telling this to Christa I realized how much bar-hopping and late nights characterized that time back in '98-'99. It feels like light years away from today.