Friday, February 27, 2004

Sometimes It's Best Not to Look

There are times when it's best not to play the What If? game. I'll give you an example:

Sometimes, on a lark, I'll go to Ryanair or Easyjet's sites to see what fares are for flights I've already booked. I do this all the time, and it is a nasty habit I should just stop! I had a look at the Dinard-London segment on Ryanair, and it's now -- get this -- 1.99 EUR! It's not that bad, I mean, I paid 19.99 EUR base fare for that flight, but oh my, I could've had it for 1.99 EUR!!

You'd think I'd know better than to check my Easyjet flights, too, but curiosity got the better of me, and I just had a look... whew! The prices are currently the same as what I'd paid. It's all another form of gambling, and I'm a terrible gambler, I'll admit it. I suppose I am paying for peace of mind; booking ahead is a form of insurance because I don't have any flexibility with my Vancouver-London flights or with the wedding in the middle of the trip. I simply can't afford to gamble with not being able to get the flights that I want just to say I got the bargain of the century.