Wednesday, July 31, 2002

Class Registration

This afternoon I had a bit of calm, so I tried to register for classes. I wasn't feeling too optimistic about it, but I was surprised to find myself getting through on the third attempt of the day. I don't have a great deal of choice for courses this term, unfortunately -- either the times are prohibitive (4:30 starts) or they conflict with other classes. Lots of Linguistics classes at Harbour Centre, and I did manage to get the one class I wanted very badly -- LING 110 (this I had to withdraw from this term -- long saga), and except one instructor I was warned to avoid, and the third instructor is the Acting Chair for the Department of Linguistics, which is part of that long aforementioned saga... which I may post one rainy, rainy day in the winter. Maybe. Suffice to say that it was not a pleasant experience by any stretch of the imagination.

The other courses are not full yet, except of course the class I wanted the most after LING 110, and that's a Philosophy course called "The Meaning of Life." No wonder it's full -- we're all searching for the meaning of life!! When and if I do take that course, I wonder kind of mark I would get?

There is a Humanities course I really really wanted to take, about the *Future*, but it is at exactly the same time as the LING 110 class. Drat. I hope it's offered again next term.

I just talked to my mother. I haven't seen her since Mother's Day. She says Madeleine is prettier than Melissa, more exotic. Yikes -- how can you say that? I think all three kids are really, really cute, in their own way. They look like siblings, but each has his or her own distinct features. Besides, babies change constantly -- how they look now is only going to last a matter of days ... and how can you compare a 9-month old baby to a 3-yr old child?? Sheesh. My mother's had 4 kids, so you'd think she'd be less biased about such things. Doesn't having more kids (and seeing how much they change over time) make you more neutral? Guess not.