Monday, November 04, 2002

From 'To Kill a Mockingbird' to Maplewood Farm

The last couple of days have wiped me out!

Yesterday morning was Spanish class, which I feel a bit more caught up on now because I missed last week. Last night I went to see "To Kill a Mockingbird" at the Stanley Theatre with Karen Ameyaw and her friend Lauren. Karen's brother Kwesi played Tom Robinson, and was he ever good! He had probably the best performance of the night. We went out to Earl's after for a bite to eat, along with two of Kwesi's actor friends, both named Dion, one was white and the other black. What are the odds....? Anyway, I ended up sitting next to the extremely jaded and condescending white Dion, who started off with the one question that drives me absolutely bonkers: "So, what do you do?" I'm sure I have told every living soul about why I detest this question, so I won't get into it here. Suffice to say, after debating with him over numerous sociopolitical issues for the duration of the meal, I was not sad to part company. People like him get my hackles up like nothing else.

Today I took out the older M's -- Michael and Melissa -- because it was gorgeous outside. We first went to Maplewood Farm, and I bumped into Jasna and Zoran and their son Simon! I was so happy to see them! We couldn't talk long because the M's were shy but very restless to get to the fun...


Melissa feeding bunny.

When we were at Maplewood Farm, the M's spent much of their time in the rabbit cage, feeding carrots to the bunnies. Michael even tried to feed Bugs Bunny. One new thing we did today was try to get the parrot to talk.


parrot