Friday, July 18, 2003

What Do I Know About Luaus, Anyway?

What a relief! I wrote another Linguistics mid-term a couple of hours ago, and I am another step closer to finishing this term, and salvaging at least three weeks of summer before the next term starts! This week was pretty brutal, what with an American History paper and Linguistics exam only two days apart. But I felt quite good about both papers, and I attribute that feeling of relative calm to the systematic way in which I tackled each one. I think that's been my problem lately, just not having a process, feeling overwhelmed, and not focusing.

On a completely different note, at the LetMeStayForaDay forum a lady named Lise mentioned she was hosting a luau, and needed some ideas for adult games. This is the thread:


Luau
« on: Jul 17th, 2003, 11:45pm » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for ideas to host a luau. We are hosting one in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for game ideas for adults. I've got the limbo poles made up, hoola hoop contest, but I'm desperate for more ideas. It will be held outdoors by the pool. I am expecting approximately 40 people. If you can help, please post your ideas. thanks

Lise



Ramon S.
Forum Administrator
Re: Luau
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:29am » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Without even knowing what a 'luau' is, I just did a search for that on Google:

http://www.hawaii-luaus.com/

That's I guess a lot of information already.


gail
Re: Luau
« Reply #2 on: Today at 1:44am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lise,

What about a trivia game, using Hawaii- or island- shows like Hawaii Five-O, Magnum, P.I., Fantasy Island, etc. etc... if you have a mixed-age crowd, they'll know those cheesy shows from the 70s and 80s (maybe Love Boat, too, but that's a bit of a stretch for your theme), with maybe some older films like From Here to Eternity, and don't forget Elvis Presley's Blue Hawaii... to make it more interesting than just reading out trivia questions, you could play a clip from a show and get people to identify it, or turn portions of it into charades or Pictionary or Taboo...

You could have teams and give out kitsch prizes, like those dashboard wobbly things, or an ice cube tray that makes forms ice in weird shapes... you get the idea.

I went to a party once where the hosts actually hired a Polynesian dance group, and that was really interesting, especially when it came to audience participation!! (get out your cameras and watch your friends make fools of themselves!)

In Canada, cultures with traditional dancing put a great deal of effort in keeping it alive, and many compete internationally, so I don't think it should be too difficult to find a troupe (especially if you pay 'em).

That's what I could come up with off the top of my head, but I could probably think up more if you're still in need of some ideas...

Happy Luauing,
Gail