Monday, October 11, 2004

Karl's Birthday

I'm in Seattle this weekend, to celebrate Karl's birthday. I drove down late on Saturday night, after having Thanksgiving Dinner with the family. We Canadians have a long weekend, and it's Columbus Day in the U.S., but apparently it's only a bank holiday here, so only government employees and bank people get the day off. Karl took the day off, anyway -- why should those lazy gits civil servants/bankers have all the fun?

(This is my third weekend in the U.S. -- am I turning into an American??)

Yesterday Francesca arranged for us all to meet at Eric's place in Capitol Hill, a lovely old apartment building from the 1920s that was converted from a hotel. (He even has an old-fashioned telephone mounted on the hallway that used to ring down to reception.)

We snacked while the others arrived, then headed over to Coastal Kitchen, which I'm told changes their cuisine every so often. Right now it's Moroccan, so I tried the cheese starter and the Tangiers Tagine -- lamb being one of those things I never cook at home, only ever order at restaurants. I think I ate way too much; I just wanted to stand up afterwards and let the food make its way down!!

Back at Eric's, Karl opened his stash of birthday loot while Francesca dished out the cake and ice cream. The celebrant being Karl, the loot was of the triathlon-training-gear variety, of course, but he did receive some new music, and Krisanne gave him some new methods of cheating winning in Scrabble.

My present happens later today, but I haven't quite sorted it out yet. The weather yesterday was brilliant, and we thought it would be the same today, for hiking. Right now it's overcast, but maybe by the time we get out there, the weather will improve. As long as it isn't raining, it doesn't really matter. This is the Pacific NorthWET, after all.


More photos in Flickr: Karl's Birthday