Monday, October 28, 2002

The Lowdown on the Weekend in Seattle

Back from a weekend mostly in Seattle. I booked tickets to see Janeane Garofalo on Saturday and dragged Erich down there to see her. What a good sport he is. I tried to get Erich to go on a road trip to San Francisco a few years ago, but he couldn't go... we're finally doing our first road trip in 2002! It wasn't far, but it was a good little getaway.

Fondue night last Friday was a hit... so much so that I slept right the way through half of Spanish class, so I decided to skip the rest of it and listen to the tapes in the car on the way south. Thankfully the border wasn't busy and the guard was fine with us, because I made a reservation at the Wild Ginger for 5 o'clock... that place is so busy, there was only a 5 o'clock and 9 o'clock sitting left! It was well worth the speeding down, though (only in hindsight since we didn't get a ticket), because their Asian menu was quite extensive.

We had just enough time to find the Paramount Theatre, which was only a few blocks away from our hotel, The Vance. Maybe it's because I booked through Expedia's special rate, but we got the SMALLEST hotel room I have ever seen in an American hotel!

After Janeane Garofalo -- who was pretty good but I think that she was better in Vancouver, since she didn't use notes and seemed to have a stronger connection with the audience -- I took Erich to the Baltic Room, where Serg and I had been together once before. We stayed there right past the Daylight Savings Time conversion before going on a search for something to eat. I tried to find the 24-hour restaurant on Broadway that Serg and I ate at before in the wee hours, but someone in front of Taco Bell told me it had moved a year earlier. The taxi driver said Minnie's had better food than The Hurricane, so we took his advice and ate breakfast there. By the time we got back to The Vance, it was 6:30am (5:30 after the time change)!