Sunday, September 15, 2002

catchup

Haven't written for a few days, so here's what's been up:

Friday, Sep 13:

It was a MUCH better day at work. Miles better. Kevin joined me going back into the city, which is great because we got to have a chat, which is rare since whenever I'm in the office it's rush rush rush. Erich called me from Horseshoe Bay to meet him for drinks there while he was waiting for the ferry to Nanaimo, but my ferry was over half an hour late, so we missed each other.

Went to pick up my travel mug from the Downtown hostel on Burnaby Street, only to leave it on the counter at London Drugs later!! Shaun and I did a grocery run at Safeway and ate some stuff on the beach at English Bay. On the way home along the seawall, I bumped into Raymond, who is also an infodesk volunteer. We stood there with our bags of groceries after midnight, chatting with him for ages.


Jericho Hostel infodesk. At left is Kelly, the Volunteer Coordinator. Posted by Hello

Thursday, Sep 12:

Organized a viewing of "Himalayan Visions and Tibetan Voices" at The Ridge, which turned out to be a big letdown for those who were expecting something IMAX-like in production value. I wasn't one of those, so I wasn't pissed off so much as concerned that SEVA's promotional vehicle would be stalled by major flaws in the presentation. Brian Harris is a great photographer, but he is a TERRIBLE speaker. I felt absolutely no connection with him as an audience member should have with a speaker who declares such a passion for his work, which has been to capture the Tibetan culture on film, something he's been doing for 15 years. I felt the best part of the show was the end, which was a series of photos set to music. I thoroughly enjoyed that part, and could have done without his droning narration. It's a shame, because The Ridge was PACKED to the gills -- I convinced Erich to park early because we didn't have enough time, so we got there before 6:30. It was already sold out, and there was a line for people who were on standby. I couldn't believe the turnout! So that's why it was such a shame that the presentation wasn't up-to-scratch, because obviously there are LOADS of people are interested in Tibetan culture.