Wednesday, September 25, 2002

St. Thomas Aquinas

So I'm trying to slog through St. Thomas Aquinas today. I started to last night, but the words were swimming in front of my eyes and doing backflips. I laughed out loud when I read the intro to the reading: "St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274), the author of the Summa Theologica, was the greatest of the medieval philosophers and theologians. He has been since 1879 the official philosopher of the Roman Catholic Church."

Official philosopher? I can just imagine this man dressed in 'medieval theologian' garb, on a marquee for the Roman Catholic Church, the way you see the McDonald's arches on everything for the Olympic Games. Or at Times Square, NYC, at New Year's: "Kodak, official sponsor of the year 2002." So here we go: "Christianity -- brought to you in part by God, Jesus, and St. Thomas Aquinas." Too funny...