Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Linguistics, by Cliff Burgess

Thank God I gutted most of the apartment last night -- no more trace of Shaun, and I was totally ready when Ross dropped by to pick up the acetates for the Tembec presentation this afternoon. Ross & Lee have a cleaning lady, so they don't have to worry about an impromptu "inspection", but me on the other hand...! (I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Ross mentions my apartment to Lee.) (Sorry Crazy Chickens, I have no photo of Shaun... and you know I take pictures of everybody... just imagine a really young guy with glasses and a beard and long, matted hair. Your imaginations are fertile enough.)

I'm back from an evening with Cliff Burgess, Linguistics Professor Extraordinaire. I have never heard a class laugh so much before. You can tell people really love the class when almost one hundred people show up ON TIME -- although I must confess I'm one of the consistently tardy stragglers -- and nobody is chit-chatting during three hours of lecture. This is no mean feat!!!

Alas, the evening is not over, for I must read several chapters of "Life and Death" and write a small paper for my *dreaded* Philosophy class. It's not so much that I dread the class, it's just I am so confused. Plus, because of the heavy-duty cleaning and having to oust Sean in the middle of it, I pulled nearly an all-nighter last night and my eyes are begging for some sleep. Even though the lecture was scintillating, I was seriously fading around 8pm (I think I was actually leaning at that point), but luckily I was able to call out an answer to a question posed to the students -- which put me instantly on the "interested student" map -- and gave me a boost of energy. (Should I start a Scrabble tournament??) At least the answer was right instead of wrong!!