Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha
I finally finished the dang thing. I don't think I have EVER dragged out the reading of a book this long before. Eliza gave me a bunch of novels over Christmas, and I'd finished the Bridget Jones books in due course. I even wrote a rambling blog about them.

Memoirs of a Geisha, however, took some time. Rightly so, though, since there is a level of detail in the book -- Japanese culture in a particular time period -- that warrants a slower pace. Plus, I'd already started my coursework and work was taking more of my time. But I have to say: I was a bit disappointed. The book is a favourite of so many, yet I found myself somewhat let down with... I'm not sure what exactly. Some passages were quite moving, her emotions powerful, but overall I didn't feel the book's expected impact. Could've been the long period of time I took to read it. Maybe if I'd read it in a few sittings it would've had a different impression, although that's purely hypothetical. I can't exactly unread it to find out.

Now I'm onto the last of the books Eliza lent to me: Frank McCourt's 'Tis, a follow-up to his more famous work, Angela's Ashes, which I read when it was released way back when. I can't recall the story details, but I do recall enjoying the book immensely. We'll see how Frank McCourt does this time. I must say, though, I do have a fondness for the Irish lilt and have a tendency to "read aloud" the accent in my head as the words jump off the page. My own simultaneous translation, if you will.