Thursday, March 04, 2004

A Night On Robson Street

Robson Street from the top of the Landmark Hotel
It was Claire's last free night in Vancouver before she flies home to France, so she and I hit Robson Street for dinner, gelato, and coffee with a view.

We started off at Thai House between Thurlow and Bute, for which I had a 2-for-1 voucher. Oh my word. We ordered so much food I thought, "There's no way we're gonna finish this!" We did, eventually, but I can't remember the last time I'd eaten so much. It was all good, though, especially the seafood house special in green curry... yum, yum.

Then we headed west towards the Landmark Hotel, but I was hypnotically drawn into Mondo Gelato -- certainly not by hunger, but some other primordial instinct to consume. I told Claire that even chickens, as daft a species as they are, know to stop eating when they're full. Humans, on the other hand, will eat until we pass out. So much for being at the top of the food chain.

After MUCH deliberation -- and anyone who's been to Mondo Gelato will know how difficult it is to make a decision on flavours -- we picked out Maple Caramel, Biscottino, and Tiramasu. Then Claire actually went for two more scoops -- this time, of White Chocolate and Ferrero Rocher. You'd never have suspected we'd just eaten vulgar amounts of Thai food only steps away, moments before.

Once we got our gelato fill, we headed over to the Landmark, where I took this photo of Robson Street facing east. We barely made last call, and chatted there in the revolving restaurant until we got kicked out. We made arrangements to meet in two months, in Paris, where we will again order two very expensive coffees and chat away until closing. I almost choked when I saw that our two coffees at the Landmark come to $10. We'll probably end up paying the same in Paris, for less -- but stronger -- coffee.