Sunday, August 11, 2002

Global Freeloading in San Francisco?

Another year of fireworks have come and gone... with a bang (pun intended). Alina and Dan and their little boy, Kevin, came over to watch the grand finale, but, as always, there was a lot of conversation so I don't know how much of the actual show was observed! They brought some lovely flowers for me, too!


lovely flowers from Alina Posted by Hello

Eliza tried to come over, too, with four friends, but I didn't hear either of the phones ring because of the music!

OK, I did something rather impulsive earlier today... I spent the afternoon surfing around for cheap flights to visit Serg and Christopher in Ottawa, but I couldn't seem to find any flights under $500+taxes, and the availability was zilch, or there were way too many connections. If I had loads of time I wouldn't care about connections, but I am always short on time!! So, I've got a 24-hour hold on a flight to San Francisco, for $212 plus taxes! ($300 total) I just have to get a hold of Tyrone to see if he's coming and when... where is he?!?

I also booked myself in tentatively for the new downtown SFO hostel, which must've only opened up within the past year, because there were only two when I was in San Francisco last year in May. But I've since found a site called Globalfreeloaders.com, which is a be-a-guest/be-a-host free service. I think I'll try it. I sent off an e-mail to a guy who lives on a 40-ft houseboat. We'll see if he responds!

Meanwhile, I must mention this band I was unable to go to see called Pink Martini, because of exams... they're from Portland, Oregon, and they've only released one CD, but they've done a lot of soundtracks and such. Here's a link to a Quicktime movie of their video for "Sympathique". Great song!!