Thursday, August 01, 2002

My Amazing Parallel Park

I did one of the best parallel parking jobs ever earlier this evening. I arrived home just before the barriers for parking in the West End went up, but I couldn't find a spot ANYWHERE! Normally I can park in the alley or one of the side streets, but I just couldn't find a place. Allan and Cheryl had already arrived, but had to wait for me in the front while I found someplace to park the car. And it was made even more difficult when the traffic brigade wouldn't even let residents pass through certain streets, directing us instead to the False Creek side of Burrard. It was crazy!

Then Allan calls me on his mobile phone and tells me there is a parking spot right in front of my building! They were standing in the spot to hold it for me and getting plenty of dirty looks from all the cars who were scrambling for a spot. So I finally get there, and managed to squeeze my Volvo station wagon into this tiny spot... it was only about a foot of space in front of my car and only about one or two inches behind me to the next car. I didn't touch anyone's bumper, either. There were people watching me, and this one guy says:

"Hey, I'm a truck driver and I'm impressed!" -- and he gave me thumbs up!


a really dark pic, but you get the idea... Posted by Hello