Saturday, August 03, 2002

Tangents

Back from sort-of studying at Blenz on Davie St, nursing my one cup of coffee and stretching it out to last something like two hours. I wasn't studying that whole time -- Tyrone phoned me back after a night out in Calgary and we chatted for nearly an hour. (Much) earlier today he suggested I swing over to Penticton to meet him and a bunch of friends, but if I am doing all the driving, there's no way for me to study. The only way I'd be able to go is if someone else was driving. C'est la vie. I'll have to take a decent holiday break later in the month, when I don't have to think about exams.

I love reading stuff on VT, but I get this incredible feeling of wanderlust all the time! Reading about Morocco and viewing photos that people have taken just make me want to get on a plane right this moment. I was talking to Kristin last night at the Swiss BBQ that I should become a teacher so I can have summers off to travel. But, at least in BC, that might mean joining a union, about as appealing a prospect as a pap smear (i.e., I know it's a good thing but I don't wanna do it). Kristin said she shouldn't have taken law... it's not a travelling kind of career, so I suggested she become a "diving lawyer," and conduct underwater legal counsel! She could have a double-sided business card that had Divemaster on one side and Lawyer on the other.

So I was wandering around the city earlier this evening to walk off a delish Thai Away Home red curry, and I kept noticing new things. I always notice new things -- that's the great thing about Vancouver, it changes constantly. I swear, if you blink, you could miss a new building, or a building disappearing.

e.g. The Eaton's signs have all been replaced by Sears Canada. It's a shame, because I liked the Eaton's branding much better -- Sears Canada reminds me of childhood when we had to order out of the catalogue. I know they're trying to change their image, but it was their image for so long I can't help but think of lawnmowers and stiff jeans that didn't fit and household appliances. I don't think they had a big toy section, so maybe that's why I wasn't impressed. I didn't want the Barbiemobile or even Barbie herself, I just wanted her clothes and shoes.

On Davie Street I bumped into a couple of the Japanese girls from Christa's going away at Bistro Sakana -- I remember one girl's name is Kaori, but I couldn't remember the other girl's name, only that she was really young -- 18?? She was holding this gigantic Costco-size box of Cheerios... I didn't think they made boxes that size!


Christa's farewell party at Bistro Sakana Posted by Hello

While in Blenz I spotted a woman from my Latin American Studies class, but I had all my books open and couldn't really dash out. I'll see her on Thursday (yikes, I'd better get studying).

I saw the most bizarre thing tonight on Burrard Street going north: a blind man with a comb-over. Think about it! How wierd is that? (Probably even more weird is me adding a link to a comb-over site!!) It begs all sorts of questions, like:

-- did somebody tell him to do that or did he get it from the media?? (the guy beside him wasn't bald)
-- has he ever seen himself sporting a comb-over??
-- does he realize how ridiculous it looks??

I mean, really! What kind of world is this that a blind man would feel self-conscious enough to carefully comb over his last remaining strands of hair to cover up a bald patch like it looked natural???