Friday, February 13, 2004

TV Sucks

I joined the TV Sucks community on orkut. Surprise, surprise. My latest post (I can't link to it):



SUBJECT: the inevitable cable company phone call
2/13/2004 6:27 PM

This is verbatim:

Cable phone rep: "I see you don't have cable. We have this great package..."
Me: "No thanks, my TV doesn't work, I can only use it to play videos now."
Cable phone rep: [sympathetically, like I'd said I had a death in my family] "I'm so sorry to hear that."
Me: "Yeah well, no big deal, it's been like that for years..."
Cable phone rep: [hushed tone] "Well, when do you think it would be a good time... you know, to call back?" [as if I needed to get past my period of mourning and move on to another TV]

Seriously, sometimes the attitude is that life with no TV renders one socially handicapped in some way. Thankfully the people at my office don't fixate on TV for water cooler talk -- if they did I'd quit.



Actually, this exchange took place a couple of years ago, and I've since then fixed the TV myself so it picks up the channels the tenants in my building get free from the satellite dish in the parking lot. So I do watch the occasional show, but for at least two years all I had was snow... but by then I'd bought a computer, and I didn't miss the TV one bit.