Saturday, October 11, 2003

Time Flies... When You're on Dial-Up

I've exiled myself to my parents' house for the Thanksgiving weekend. I'm supposed to be studying, but I've been setting up my dad's computer (Allan & Cheryl's old computer) and connecting it to the internet. To get my parents started, I'm using my 20-hr per month dial-up allowance that's bundled with my Enhanced ADSL connection at home (2.5MB/sec). Dial-up is excruciating...! I've never had it, although I've used it on the rare occasion when the ADSL servers have gone down. There's just no comparison. Dial-up is painful!


Allan and Maddy

Melissa


An hour ago Allan, Cheryl, and the kids dropped me off from a walk around Green Timbers Park. It's raining, but the kids love the puddles! Don't all kids love puddles? There's just something about them that draws kids like magnets. When Michael sees a puddle, he makes a run for it, so going outside means dressing the boy up in as much rain gear as one can find. Stomping in puddles is Michael's forté.

As you can see, the other kids don't mind rain, either.

Green Timbers Park photos
(22 in Ofoto album)




family

I'm glad that Allan and Cheryl aren't put off by rain. They'll take the kids out in rain or shine, which is good, since winters in the Lower Mainland (at least near sea level) consist of a great deal of rain. On the flip side, we don't get snow -- we're lucky if we get one decent snowfall that sticks around more than 24 hours -- so that means no shovelling! It was fine when we were kids growing up in Winnipeg, snow was synonymous with fun and we didn't have to deal with the inconveniences that adults had: plugging in the car so it would be warm enough to start, making sure the sidewalks were clear, etc. etc. If we got a huge dump of snow, it meant no school! Toboganning! Krazy Karpets! (*I did a little search on Krazy Karpets, and I can't believe they're still available and selling for $1.99!*)

I like rain, myself. I think people in BC appreciate rain a bit more now after a summer of fires, dangerously low reservoirs, and a record lack of precipitation. I'm happy to see the grass green again after all that ugly brown... we needed the rain so badly. Bring it on!