Saturday, December 20, 2003

ERA Christmas Party


massive dining table

King Ross


(L) Our massive medieval-length table in the UBC Room at the Vancouver Club
(R) Ross, after a few drinks, dons the patriarchal crown that comes inside one of those Christmas crackers



Kevin and Lee
Our last company Christmas Party hosted by Ross and Lee was held at the Vancouver Club, one of those posh old-boys-network clubs that are set up around the world to -- basically -- keep out plebs like myself...

That didn't really stop me from eating my weight in food, though. The Christmas buffet at the Vancouver Club is legendary, and there's something surreal about standing in front of a mountain of lobster next to billionnaire Jimmy Pattison. Must be all the wine that flows at these functions. Meanwhile Jane kept pointing out a delectable of the male variety over yon at a faraway table (too bad so far away), which only momentarily distracted me from the scads o' gourmet food...


Allison and John
I wasn't the only person who stuffed myself at the Club -- everyone went for several rounds each. Allison and John ooh'ed and ahh'ed over the scallops sauteed in front of you by chefs, and Michel did of course partake as well. I think at the end of the night we all had to roll away from our mideval-style table.