Thursday, December 04, 2003

Full Night's Sleep

Last night I had a completely unintended full night's sleep for the first time in more than one week, and I feel so much better. Got home from the hospital late and had every intention to tackle some of the workload that's been piling up in front of the computer, but basically passed out... driving every day out to Surrey and back is not my idea of fun. I should be studying or working, but I can't. I also can't complain to my mother, who is the one in pain, while I'm just frustrated. Somebody give me some meds for that!

The doctor took off my mother's neck brace last night, so it looks like the spinal tests from VGH were returned negative for damage. She has blisters from wearing a neck brace since Sunday night. She's in a reclining position, and in better spirits, so I was able to explain what arrangements I've made thus far and the ICBC paperwork I brought with me for her to sign. They're release forms to allow the insurance company to access her medical and employment records.

Today I phone the orthopedic surgeon, the ICBC adjuster, and her insurance company to try to find out what her extended benefits include. I got my dad to go to the towing company yesterday to see if he could find her keys and retrieve anything else from the car. No keys. He says the car is completely totalled -- it's no wonder she has a shattered pelvis. I think seeing the state of the car shocked him, and what he was really thinking was, "she's lucky to be alive."

I can't get into her apartment. I can't find her glasses, either. She's had some visitors the past couple of days while she's been at Surrey Memorial, which helps me because they can hold her hand and be there for her emotionally. I'll stick to asking her questions, speaking to nurses and doctors and filling in forms.