Thursday, April 08, 2004

Airports

I was talking to my colleague yesterday about my trip, and realized I'm going to be in 11 different airports on this trip:

Vancouver
Toronto
London-Heathrow
Birmingham
Barcelona-Girona
Malaga
East Midlands
Liverpool
Paris
Dinard
London-Stansted

Heathrow, then Vancouver again. I think this might be the record for a single trip. I thought last year there were more, but there was a lot of overlanding, in cars. I only counted 8 airports, but it was a shorter trip:

Vancouver
Calgary
London-Gatwick
Dublin
Shannon
Brussels
Milan-Bergamo
Zurich

It's a good thing I like to people-watch. I find the people-watching opportunities too great a distraction from reading books in airports. I think the longest layover I've ever had was in Sofia, Bulgaria, on a flight from Bangkok to London, and there weren't many people in the aiport at that hour. This Bulgarian guy gave me his card and chatted away endlessly, but I didn't discourage him as he was the only thing keeping me awake.

More airport stories later. I have a bunch. Ask Kristin.