Thursday, April 29, 2004

Wolverhampton, Wedding Countdown: 2 Days to Go

The nearly-betrothed are alternating between frazzled and anticipatory behaviour. Totally understandable, but the gloomy weather isn't helping. Of course, everyone wants their Big Day to be all sunshine and happy times, but hey -- this is England. Sunshine and happy times are at a premium here.

My dig about "happy times" is directly related to the fact that I think British people, as consumers, get ripped off left, right, and centre. People pay a fortune for so many things: food, utilities, shelter, transportation... it's really something. When I lived in the UK I suppose I just got used to it, but returning to it now and again is a real eye-opener. Professional wages are on average higher here, but if you compare it to the cost of living, I think the average Canadian can achieve a better standard of living with less money.

Dress-fitting #3 today, amongst a bunch of other errands. The dress is looking far less hideous than when I first tried it on, now that it fits. Transferred my Spain photos from the two 256 MB flashcards to CD at the photo shop today, so I can make room for the wedding photos. Also bought a wedding guestbook so I can take photos of guests at the reception and the evening party at the hotel, then get them to sign beside their photos. The shoes were stretched successfully, and now I can actually put my feet in them without my toes going purple. Made some confetti cones in the shape of flowers. Bit of a brouhaha over Lucy's dad's missing suit that we thought we'd picked up, so I took Lucy, John, and Joe out to an Indian restaurant at the bottom of the road so we can all just relax...

Tomorrow the Irish contingent arrives, we take all the stuff over to the hotel, have a wedding rehearsal, and I have to figure out the girly stuff like nails, hair, and makeup... I'm eschewing the manicure/pedicure/hairdresser route and doing everything myself... yikes.