Sunday, April 04, 2004

Vancouver Auto Show

Eliza had two passes to the Vancouver Auto Show, so we headed over to BC Place yesterday afternoon after I picked up the rest of the display items from the Granville Optical window, and lunch at Hon's on Robson.




Mini convertible

PT Cruiser convertible

Beetle convertible

I'm no car nut. After all, I joined a car co-op so the only thing I have to do with cars these days is drive them. I don't have to mess around with maintenance, insurance, Air Care, or BCAA. But, I like to look at the occasional car, admire them for their design features, and gawk at the futuristic toys of the like you see at car shows. And, I like driving around Vancouver in Eliza's Mercedes convertible, I must say... makes me want to drop all my classes this summer just so I can convince her to drive up to Whistler often! Reminds me of my Banff days when Lynn and I would cruise around town in her green (Mustang?) convertible. (If you've been to Banff, you'd know this would be a rare sight indeed!)

Eliza and I did our share of gawking at luxury cars, too: Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac, Rolls Royce... I took some photos of this wacky looking Cadillac, which I think was called "Sixteen"--what that means, I don't know... I didn't read the spec sheet.

One thing I did notice was the convertibles: Daimler's PT Cruiser, the new Mini Convertible, and Beetle Convertible were all very fun-looking. If I had my choice between the three, I think I'd pick the Mini Convertible... the Beetle Convertible I liked, but the Mini Convertible is something different on the road. I'm not really into the flashy sports cars, but I am partial to Aston Martin and Bentleys. Cruising around Vancouver in a Bentley would be fun for a while, but the novelty would wear off pretty quickly. Too pretentious, not to mention ostentatious. Or, wholly unpractical. I mean, where would I put five carseats?

More photos of the Vancouver Auto Show here.