Friday, April 22, 2005

Skin Whitening

While in the Philippines, my brother Allan took a photo of a spa advertisement that shocked him:

If you can zoom in you'll see the ad reads "Skintimate Summer Promo: 50% off skin WHITENING."

What!?


I can imagine they must use some nasty skin bleaching agent that does just as much damage as UV rays for certain fair people who work on their tans at every given opportunity.


statement
Uploaded by gailontheweb.
I took this photo in Barcelona exactly one year ago, yesterday:

There's something very fitting about this: "Real White Chocolate".

(I stumbled upon a little Filipino grocery around the corner from the Museum of Contemporary Art.)

I bought it to take a picture of it, because I found it curious. Many Filipinos still desire a "Real White" appearance, which hearkens back to the days of colonialism.