Friday, September 12, 2003

2:30am Phone Call

The phone rang at 2:30 this morning, and I happened to be awake. Who on earth would be phoning at this hour??? It could be one of two possibilities:

1) international phone call, someone with a wrong number; or
2) international phone call, someone who knows me well, figuring I'm probably awake.

Normally this wouldn't be news, except that I'd been lying awake in bed for nearly two hours with a very rare bout of insomnia, brought on by a bit of anxiety about this big party I'm planning for November.

It was Iris! I think she forgot we're 9 hours behind, but it didn't matter since I was awake anyway. Turns out there was something wrong with her plane in Toronto, and it was stuck on the tarmac for two hours, so she missed her flight to Frankfurt, and had to wait another four hours for the next flight. So, her trip home ended up lasting 24 hours... actually, if you know Iris and her track record with flights, this is not so unusual.

OK, so back to this big party... scale-wise, it's like planning a wedding, or a conference. Guests will number around 200, and the occasion is my employers' "pre-retirement" and "retirement." Except for the date, the party details are shrouded in secrecy -- Ross and Lee don't know the location, who's invited, the program, or anything else besides the fact that it's on November 22. Meanwhile, I've been e-mailing, phoning, and generally caught up in a communication whirl, getting this event organized.