Sunday, September 21, 2003

A Rare Day Out With Alvin and the Kids

Alvin made a rare appearance in Vancouver over the weekend, so I pulled an all-nighter on Saturday night reading Sociology material so I could make some time for all of us to spend the day together. Allan couldn't join us as he had a paid tech support gig for a Maddocks customer on Sunday. Too bad for Dad!

Cheryl drove Alvin and the kids out from Surrey, and we headed straight for Stanley Park. I wanted to take everyone on the miniature train and the petting zoo, but I found out later they'd closed the farmyard only the weekend before, and they were doing prep on the train to transform it into the Ghost Train for Halloween.

The kids were pretty disappointed -- they love the train, and the petting zoo, although they get pretty wary around the baby goats, who love to nibble and eat children's shoelaces. But we found a playground to amuse them and spent the whole afternoon in the park.

When we were in the parking lot to leave, I tried to flog our paid parking ticket, which we'd bought for $2 from someone else, and the guy I tried to sell it to happened to be none other than Jeremy Knowlton, a classmate of Alvin's from high school, and who've I've known since he was 10 years old... but hadn't seen for something like 13 years. Jeremy's mum was there, too, so it was a bit of a quick catchup, and I introduced Mrs. Knowlton to the kids, none of whom I think she's seen before.

Wacky. This is only the second time Alvin's visited this year, and we bump into a guy from high school! -- a tiny high school an hour east that had only 100 students. Jeremy lives in Seattle now, and he brought his girlfriend here on a sightseeing trip, so this is also a rare visit for him.

Michael and Maddy were so cranky we had to make sure they had a nap, so we drove to Deep Cove to hang out for a bit, then drove to Ambleside Beach in West Vancouver to burn off a bit more of their steam before dinner at the White Spot on Georgia. It was a gorgeous day, so I was glad to be out and about, but boy -- did I ever pay for it last night... I went to bed at 7am this morning, feeling like utter shite. Christa, who had to be at school early, was just waking up as I was going to sleep!

Photos Around Vancouver with 3 Big Edwins and 3 Little Edwins