Saturday, November 15, 2003

Friday Files


autumn leaves
Friday was a very long day, that began in the early hours after a very late night and fuelled by only a couple of hours of sleep. Actually, I took this photo on Wednesday, but I thought I would post it, anyway, to show you how beautiful the leaves look in the autumn outside my office/bedroom window. It's a comforting photo somehow.

It was a decent day at the office - busy and productive but some positive aspects helped to balance things out. I admit I was dreading it, for the volume of work and the stress that typically comes with these kinds of days. We had to finish the big monthly report, which had our price forecasts for 2004, and I finalized Ross' presentation for the conference in New York. The mobile phone was sending e-mail alert after e-mail alert on the drive to the ferry, on the ferry, and even when I got to the office. The one incoming e-mail that really got the day off to a good start is that my e-mail to the VP and GM of Fairmont Hotel Vancouver was returned with positive results, and they will give me what I asked for: a framed letter thanking my employers for their patronage! What a relief! I then phoned Irene to ask her if her friends would make a giant golden key for ceremonial purposes, and I would have it engraved.

In the afternoon Cheryl called, saying that BC Women's Hospital wouldn't allow her to drive herself home, and if I would pick her up, but I was in Sechelt, hours away. This had me alarmed, but I tried to make other arrangements, and in the end Allan left work to go pick her up while my dad looked after the kids. I didn't find out until I was on the ferry home that they decided to keep Cheryl overnight for observation because the examination left her in a state where she couldn't even walk. If I had known this, I would have left the office immediately and taken the next ferry home, but I didn't know anything at the time.

I ended up missing the 6:30 ferry by probably one minute. I was so pissed off... if it's the usual crew in Langdale, they know my car and they've opened the gate for me. But I didn't recognize the guy at the booth, and I was driving a co-op car. So I had to take the 8:20, the last ferry. I intended on reading my textbook at Tim Horton's, but I ended up phoning Kevin, who had driven to Castlegar to be with his dad, and having a long conversation. Then Melanie and her family showed up, so I talked with her. So much for studying. But my mind was really all over the place, so I think talking to people about unrelated things helped take my mind off some major decisions I will have to make soon.

Thank God for Eliza. Where would I be without her?? After I dropped off my stuff at home, I returned the car to its parking spot at Harwood and Jervis, where Eliza was waiting for me, and we drove to the Hotel Vancouver and I picked up the photos from Jane. From there Eliza took me to BC Women's Hospital, where my car was parked on a side street. By the time I got home I was so totally exhausted I practically passed out.