Sunday, November 23, 2003

Retirement Party -- Finally!


cutting Jane's cake
It's hard to tell from this photo because it's a bit far away, but the cake is designed to look like cross-sections of a tree, and there are chocolate leaves on top. How clever! Their daughter, Jane, made it and she makes the most amazing cakes. The funny part is that she gave them a hatchet to cut it with, too!

Wow. What a party! It was ONE BIG BRAIN RUSH... totally surreal... *although that might be related to only having 2 hours of sleep*... and I cannot believe I missed the moment when Ross and Lee came out of the elevators and saw over a hundred of their friends standing in front of them! Kevin went up the elevator to get them, and I was doing something, so I told him I'd be up in a minute. Then when I was ready to go up I found that I needed a card... by the time I got a card and went upstairs, they had already gone downstairs! While I was in the elevator, I heard shrieking and carrying on, and I knew I'd missed it...

I'll just have to watch the video!

I'm really glad I got my dad and Sophia there to see it all unfold, because I think now they have a better idea of what I do and who I work with. When you spend all week with people (or in my case in the past few years, see them once a week but talk to them all week) you end up seeing them more often than your own parents. A few months ago my dad asked me what my company did and what I do, and I told them about the retirement party. My dad said he wanted to come! I said, 'hey you won't know anybody' and later thought it really WOULD be a good idea for him to meet my employers and see who I spend so much time with. I believe now he has a much better sense of me.