Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Emm Gryner

Came across an online article in the Vancouver Sun for singer-songwriter Emm Gryner. I wasn't familiar with her name, but the moment I saw her picture, I was 99% sure she was at least half Filipino. (Love this outfit, too – it's pretty obvious my favourite colour by far is blue.) I did some more surfing, and discovered that she is indeed Filipino, through her mum (her dad is German-Irish). This is one talented woman, a real Do-It-Yourselfer from Ontario who has worked with the likes of David Bowie, The Cardigans, Ron Sexsmith, and other musical glitterati. I've been on Kazaa-Lite (well, what's left of it now) and downloading Emm's creative output instead of being the fiscally responsible person who promised to get her papers together to ring her accountant at 9:30 the following morning with a bunch of figures!! The irony here lies in the fact that I was keen on posting about Ms. Gryner because I feel there is a dearth of Filipino role models (male or female) in the public eye – independent and strong-minded individuals who are fully in charge of their affairs... ahem... *OK, time to get back to being fiscally responsible!!*

Check out Emm's official site. Click here to listen to her piano and cello arrangement of Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me". I'm not a Def Leppard fan, but this version is almost unrecognizable from the original.

Emm toured with David Bowie in 1999, singing backup with Holly Palmer, who is a versatile musician in her own right. If you go to Holly's site, there's a pop-up player (you will have to turn off your pop-up blocker to launch it) that plays three songs, and I've been listening to it while I've been surfing her site. I tried to get past my first impression of comparisons to Kylie Minogue, and I'm glad I did... Holly Palmer is much more talented. I really like two of the songs: "Did Your Mama?" and "I Confess", neither of which I can find on Kazaa-Lite right now. Have a listen. If you're a guy, there's a good possibility you might ignore the music altogether once you see her home page (Muckdog?), but if you can remember to turn off your pop-up blocker, you might remember why I drew your attention to her website in the first place... it's about the music (Muckdog), the music!