Thursday, January 01, 2004

Happy New Year!!!


shelf and bathroom bamboo
So it's early afternoon, and I'm about ready to pass out for a much-needed nap... For a New Year's Day, I was up uncharacteristically early -- 10 o'clock! This might not seem early, except that the red wine was flowing last night and I ended up going to sleep around 6am or so. After a benny brunch, I slipped into a heady state of slow motion... ah, recovery...

I did actually DO something on New Year's Day. I put up a shelf! See?? Yes, that means I was hammering into the wall on New Year's Day, but I *believe* -- but I'm not entirely sure -- that the other side of my bathroom wall is the inside of my neighbour's closet. I'm beside a stairwell, but my building is round (yeah, it makes for an interesting layout!), so from what I can tell, there is a recessed area beside the bedroom and I actually share very little wallspace with anybody. The apartment is shaped more like a wedge. My bedroom/office has six angled walls and there are no right-angles anywhere in the apartment. The length of the living room is shared with my city-side neighbour, but from what I can tell, he keeps even wackier hours than I do. How do I know this? I bumped into him once at around 4am in the hallway and we were so surprised to see each other we were struck a bit speechless. After a moment we managed a simultaneous "hi" but was more like a startle than an opening to a conversation.

Before putting up the shelf, I hung a glass flower vase from a nail that was already there on the bathroom wall. I was a bit dubious about the nail, especially once I put in stones and water and bamboo into the vase... I tried to get a sturdier wall bracket hook thingy, but could I find one??? I guess my next question is: will bamboo stay alive in my bathroom when there is zero natural light?? Lest I be called a bamboo killer, let me make clear I have Eliza as my witness that I really made an effort to find a plant that can live in a window-free bathroom... alas, the shopkeeper shook his head, so we'll see how the bamboo gets on in there.

Well, after rather copious amounts of red wine on New Year's I was happy to bloody well get out of bed, so actually this is progress indeed.