Friday, September 16, 2005

Waiting Room

Patient lounge at the radiation clinic. We're here every day, Monday to Friday, so I know this room all too well.

The angles in the photo seem off-kilter, but given the situation this seems appropriate.

It's the first time I've taken my camera to the clinic. I've thought of it since Day 1, just to occupy myself since the televisions are all tuned into CNN and the magazines are not really up my alley (Field and Stream, Good Housekeeping, you get my drift?).

I thought it would be too intrusive to bring a camera along to a waiting room, since some people are sitting in hospital gowns, some are wearing wigs, and there's an air of anxiety. But we've been regulars there for a month now, much of that time twice a day. The faces are becoming familiar, and perhaps now people would be more comfortable with the idea that a camera is in their midst because we're there so often.

On Wednesdays Rudy the therapy dog comes to the radiation clinic, and each Wednesday I kick myself for not bringing along my camera. He's a real character, smaller than Hugh, and with a fluffy, fountainlike tail that's as large as his head. Probably a very willing photo subject, and you can never have too many of those!