Friday, January 21, 2005

Dine Out Vancouver 2005


Dine Out Vancouver 2005
It's that time of year again, and I'll be here for part of it. Yay! In the seasonal lull that is January-February, restaurants can participate in a fixed-price menu program that is promoted by Tourism Vancouver: 3 courses for either $15, $25, or $35. It's the third year Vancouver has put it on (I think in Manhattan they called it 25-for-25 or something like that), and its popularity encourages more restaurants to participate each year. Currently there are 125 on the roster, which is a great deal more than the original number back in 2003. Nevertheless, even back then I had to strategise to get into the restaurants I wanted to try (I also vaguely recall it ran for only one week). Most of them don't take reservations during this time, and are extremely busy. I remember having to phone around to nearly every participating restaurant in the city centre to get eight of us a table, and we lucked out at Brix in Yaletown. I also tried out the Renaissance Hotel Harbourside's revolving restaurant, Vistas, and Wild Rice for $15. Back then $35 wasn't an option -- even the high-end restaurants offered their dinners for $25 -- but it appears people less stingy than yours truly consider $35 for a three-course dinner a bargain. (Actually so do I, grudgingly. Most entrees alone average $25 at the poshier spots. At Il Giardino I paid nearly $20 for a small salad.) For Dine Out Vancouver, I like to try hotel restaurants. These are the ones I frequent the least, and would most like to try.