Sunday, January 09, 2005

Food You Love, But Doesn't Love You Back

In reading Tanya's blog, I came across this reference to poutine, heart-attack-inducing food native to Quebec. I first tried it in Banff, which has probably the largest per-capita population of French-Canadians anywhere west of Quebec. I've had it elsewhere, but it was nowhere near as addictive as the stuff I had in Banff. It's simple fare: french fries, cheese curds, and gravy, but it is possible to make bad poutine, as I discovered at Burger King. Don't try BK poutine and think it's poutine! It's not!

Poutine joins other food in the category I Iike to call "Food You Love, But Doesn't Love You Back". Other items in this category include:

- jalapeno and cream cheese poppers (you can get them with cheese, but cream cheese tastes better)
- bacon-wrapped scallops
- bacon-wrapped water chestnuts
- heck, BACON!
- let's not forget french fries!
- Bavarian smokie dogs
- buttermilk waffles
- hot wings
- cheese fondue (I especially liked the regional kinds I had in Switzerland, eg. vacherin from Fribourg, moitié-moitié in Neuchâtel)

I'm sure I'll think of more as the day goes on. Writing while I'm hungry helps me to think of food, but writing about it is making me hungrier!