Thursday, May 12, 2005

The New Tent

IMG_8141


Insanity is a relative term. Some people think doing an Ironman is insane. Some people think eating live insects is insane. Some people think having five kids in five years is insane.

You know what? Having five kids in five years and then TAKING ALL OF THEM CAMPING is insane.

Allan and Cheryl came home from their "date" with bags of groceries and a large duffle bag. (I use the word "date" rather loosely, here.) After feeding the kids, I set about putting them to bed while their parents headed out in search of child-free environs. I'm told the environs included a steakhouse and Save-on-Foods.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I could hear bouts of giggling coming from the twins' room, Melissa was gnashing her teeth over missing dessert because she was too slow to eat dinner, Maddy wouldn't come out of the tub, and Michael was busy building an empire in his room. An empire that I would, of course, trip over in the middle of the night when I go to bed.

Bedtime is hard enough when everybody's in separate rooms, but they want to put all five kids and two adults in a TENT?