Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Argh! Singleton Angst Strikes Again!

Here's another post with an exclamation mark. I just showered after a dip in the pool while it was deserted, so I could burn off some steam.

Steam? Yes. Earlier this evening I got a phone call from a timeshare in Birch Bay, Washington. Apparently, I was given their number by a woman who does some work for me, whose intentions, I'm sure, were to see if she could get me a free holiday. She'd gone there today to view a presentation by the timeshare, and probably as part of the pitch was asked if she could list anyone who might be interested in the presentation and receive a free trip to either Reno or some other short-haul destination. Normally I would be peeved to know after that fact that my mobile number had been given out to some marketing company, but I didn't mind so much this time, since I could see why she would give them the number -- it was for free travel, something she knows is right up my alley.

Thing is, I know how these timeshare presentations work -- you have to be part of a couple before being eligible to view a presentation. I remember 14 years ago, in Banff, when my crazy Aussie friend Neville wangled a female co-worker to attend a presentation with him, and they pretended to be a couple. I don't think they were very convincing, because when it came down to signing the attendant paperwork for the holiday, they couldn't get their stories straight, and were rejected.

Knowing this, I still answered the woman's questions, and waited for the inevitable -- for her to ask if I was married or had a significant other. The way they approach the question is by saying that the free trip is for two people, and qualify this by then asking if I have a significant other who will be joining me on this excursion. Part of me wanted to lie and say yes, just to go on the trip, since it's available for a whole year... I considered saying yes, thinking to myself -- surely I can find someone to go with me within a year? But another part of me was pissed off, thinking -- Why the hell must I have a significant other to qualify for a bleeding timeshare, anyway?!?! This is so discriminatory!

These points sprung immediately to mind:

1) This is #$^!@# 2004 -- it is entirely feasible in this day and age for a woman to pull the kind of income to afford a timeshare on her own!
2) A couple is no less of a financial liability these days for a commitment such as a timeshare. Romantic commitments are not as stable as they used to be.
3) Why do I feel the need to rummage around for a fake partner just to view a stinking timeshare presentation, anyway? Stuff the holiday!


I was totally calm on the phone, but the more the woman kept talking, the less inclined I felt to pretend I had a mate... do I really want to go through the hassle of finding someone to accompany me to this presentation? Be all lovey-dovey? Rehearse what we're going to say, how we'll act? Then there's the matter of finances. I'm certain they ask questions about each other's income, and weed out the fakesters by posing questions that only couples would be able to answer.

I decided, it's not flipping worth it. They can keep their holiday. If I do meet someone and fall in love and want a free holiday as a bonus, I will call them.