Friday, July 16, 2004

The Great Orca Auction

I was at Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal earlier this evening, waiting for the #250 bus to take me into downtown, when I noticed one of the auction orcas that have been cropping up all around Vancouver.

Some people find them downright ugly, but most people don't know what they're for. I think they're great, especially because they're for charity. The artist who painted this orca put in a tiny ferry on the belly. It's really small, so I took a photo closer so the details are more visible.




BC Ferry on the belly
The #250 bus has got to be the most scenic bus ride in the whole city. It goes from Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal along the winding curves of Marine Drive, passing houses on cliffsides, the West Vancouver Yacht Club, Thunderbird Marina, along the ocean to Park Royal shopping centre before crossing the Lion's Gate Bridge to downtown Vancouver. I think this is the first time I've taken either the 250 or 257 buses during the day before. Whenever I've returned from the office on transit (and it's only been a few times), it's been dark, and I could never see the houses or even the ocean.

All I can say is WOW! Many of the houses facing the ocean along Marine Drive are posh mansions, with a fleet of vehicles in the driveway and impeccable landscaping. I was fantasising what it would be like to live in one of those gorgeous waterfront homes, entertaining friends on the patio and throwing lots and lots of BBQs during the summer. We'd head down to the water in the heat of the day, take the boat out, and find a hidden cove somewhere to go swimming...