Monday, July 26, 2004

Remember SLR?

I'm not going to talk about today, although it's ending with another lovely sunset. Instead, here's a pic from my photo archives.

Camping at Harrison Lake, Labour Day weekend, 1998. Best camping trip ever. I took this photo with my old point-and-shoot Pentax Espio, which I still have. Keeps a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

The camping trip was gorgeous, but where we ended up was unplanned. Some of the best experiences are like that. We left after work, so by the time we reached Chilliwack Lake, we discovered too late that they'd declared the area a fire hazard. We stopped on the road, blocked by a helicopter, discussing our next move. It was probably the busiest weekend of the year for camping, but I suggested we try Harrison Lake. I drove to the provincial campground on the eastern side, which was overrun with people, so I drove all the way south to cross over to the western side. My trusty old '83 Volvo wagon took a beating on the forest service roads (the biggest windshield dings were from that trip), but we managed to find a cracker of a camping spot, with its own cove. Heaven!! We spent the whole weekend swimming, eating, and drinking. Lillian and I were the ladies of leisure, while Marc was our whipped man-slave. (I wonder how many kinky Google searches will end up here for "whipped man-slave"? haha!) As the resident gourmand, he made us coffee in the morning, fresh orange juice, fire-baked salmon with lemon and dill sauce for dinner, smoked mussels and oysters on crispbread in the afternoon... PARADISE!

These two photos were taken by Marc Baril, who was the chef for le weekend.