Sunday, September 26, 2004

Fun With Digital


driving with Karl
Originally uploaded by gailontheweb.
Heather and I are watching a DVD at Karl's place right now: Before Sunrise, with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, the film before Before Sunset, which I watched not long ago and posted about. What a lazy weekend -- we're kicking back in front of Karl's home theatre, while he's driving back from his triathlon!!

Karl's been a great host. We arrived late on Friday night, he fed us Thai food and we geeked out on the computers until late into the night. Everyone slept in until late yesterday morning: I went to bed around 7am like the nocturnal diehard that I am, Heather had been up nearly 24 hours, so she crashed hard around 4 o'clock, and Karl not long later. I chatted with Breigh, installed programs, configured settings, and played around with the PowerBook. Then the Saturday sun appeared and told me to go to bed, already!



peering over the fence
Originally uploaded by gailontheweb.
Yesterday morning was, in a word, leisurely. We dossed around for a while and headed out to Snoqualmie Falls after a very late brunch while the weather was good. Karl informed us that's where certain episodes of that old show Twin Peaks was filmed, so in keeping with the bizarro theme of the show, I set up this 'peering over the fence' shot to the left. We took a trail from the observation deck down to the bottom of the Falls, which wasn't far, but a bit steep in places.



Snoqualmie Falls
Originally uploaded by gailontheweb.
At the bottom of the Falls, contemplating whether to jump the fence or not. I decided against it, because I didn't have decent shoes for scrambling around the rocks. I figured we could come back to the Falls on a different day to explore it properly.

(My hair is looking very RED in this photo!!)

After the Falls, we headed to Fry's Electronics to buy some stuff -- I wanted to get a case for my Powerbook, a notebook stand, and some other things -- before heading out for dinner. I'd never been to Fry's and -- holy crap! -- the parking lot was the size of the IKEA's in Coquitlam, like an airplane hangar! You'd need a GPS just to find your car again!

By the time we finished up at Fry's, half a dozen purchases later, I suggested we go to an African restaurant. We have them in Vancouver, but we don't have nearly as many of them as does Seattle, so that was my vote, which seemed to go over well with the others. I hadn't been to an Ethiopian restaurant in years, since my friend Sergio lived in Seattle -- back in 1999?? (Wow, it's been ages.) We stuffed ourselves silly, but we managed to find some room for coffee and dessert a few blocks over on Broadway at a place called Dilettante Chocolates, which was hopping with patrons. Dessert was great, but between the rich chocolate in the cheesecake and mousse, drinking rich liquid chocolate was sending us into major sugar overdose.

Heather and I had planned on staying downtown, but we'd abandoned that idea since it was based on the premise that we'd be out on the town late and the fact that Karl had a triathlon in the morning. Heather was fading fast, and Karl wanted to take us to west Seattle to see the city from across the water, so I called to cancel our booking and free up a couple of beds there, and we headed back to Karl's place after taking a bunch of pictures of the night skyline.